You can install the Birthday announcements bundle to have birthday announcements automatically sent to the email address or Slack channel you configure.
Birthday and anniversary announcements are automatically included on the ChartHop home page.
Bundles are packages of additional features with pre-made forms, additional fields, and ChartHop notifications (depending on the bundle).
To install the Birthday announcements bundle:
- Select Apps from the Settings (gear) menu in the left sidebar.
- Select the All bundles tab.
- Scroll to the Birthday announcements bundle.
- Select Install on the far right-hand side of the table.
You can set up birthday announcements by configuring the ChartHop action installed when you installed the Birthday announcements bundle.
You can customize when the announcement is sent and which Slack channel to use when sending announcements. You can also choose to send the announcement to a specific email or DM the person or person's manager with the birthday announcement.
For example, you can configure the app to send an email to a person's manager three days before their birthday by creating a custom filter (birthday=today-3) and selecting Person's manager in the Send message to dropdown list.
You can use ChartHop's Carrot language in custom filters. Learn more.
Separate announcements are sent for each employee's birthday according to the parameters you set..
To configure birthday announcements:
- Select Actions from the Settings (gear) menu in the left sidebar.
- Select Edit from the row menu (⋮) on the left side of the Birthday announcements row.
- In the Edit dialog, use the Text field to customize the information included in the announcement.
- Below is an example of how the default announcement displays in Slack:
- Choose from the following options to customize how you want the announcements sent:
- To use Slack, select Chat Channel and then enter the name of the Slack channel where you want to send the announcements. Be sure that the channel name starts with #. By default, it is set to send to the #general channel
- To send to a particular email address, select Email address and enter the email address where you want to send the announcement.
- To send to the person, select Person. The announcement is sent in a direct Slack message to the employee. If they are not connected to Slack, it sends an email.
- To send to the person's manager, select Person's manager. The announcement is sent in a direct Slack message to the person's manager. If they are not connected to Slack, it sends an email.
- Select Save.
You can test how your birthday announcements look and where they are sent.
- Select Actions from the options (gear) menu in the left sidebar.
- Select Run… from the row menu (⋮) on the left side of the Birthday announcements row.
- In the Run action dialog, select a person to send an announcement to. This person can verify if they receive the announcement as expected.
- Select Run. The announcement is sent immediately to the person you selected.