Create a custom field
Custom fields are available wherever fields are used in ChartHop. You can include them in forms in order to gather information or use them to capture data from an integrated system. You can also leverage custom fields in reports, queries, Data Sheet columns, and more.
To add a custom field, complete the following steps:
- From the left sidebar, select the Settings (gear) menu and choose Fields.
- On the Fields page, select New field.
- In the New field dialog, fill out these options:
- Label – Choose a unique label that reflects the field’s intended use. Field labels may not begin with numbers.
- Field code – Automatically generated. Field codes use only letters and numbers (no spaces or punctuation) and may not begin with numbers.
- Category – Optionally, search for the category to assign. If needed, create a new category by entering it. Categories help you organize your fields. Learn more.
- Description – Optionally, add a description for the field. If adding a smart field, be sure to add a description of how it works and what it does.
- Data type – Select a data type for the field to determine what kind of information it will hold.
- Applies to – Choose where in ChartHop the field will be used. Learn more.
- Expire after – Optionally, set an expiration for data added to this field (for example, if developing a form for a dated event).
- Sensitivity – Select the appropriate sensitivity level for the field. This determines who can view the field in ChartHop.
- Enable edit dialog – Optionally, enable the ability to edit the field on a person’s profile page. You’ll need to enable this option for some fields (such as text fields) to appear on the Data Sheet.
- Select Save to finish adding your custom field. The field is added to the Uncategorized category. Learn more.