Importing spreadsheet data
ChartHop provides apps with which you can sync data from different payroll, equity, and applicant tracking systems (ATS). When your system is not supported or when you want to make bulk updates, you can import a CSV or a Microsoft Excel XLSX file.
The following image shows a section of the ChartHop spreadsheet upload process.
To import a CSV or Excel file to ChartHop:
- From the Settings menu (gear icon) in the left sidebar, select Import Spreadsheet data.
- On the Upload your spreadsheet page, drag your file to the target area.
- Select Upload to org.
- For any fields in your spreadsheet that weren’t automatically matched to a ChartHop field, select a ChartHop field to match to your spreadsheet column. You may need to scroll to see all unmatched fields, which are highlighted in red.
- Once all columns are matched, select Continue with import to finish importing data.
- (Optional) When upload is complete, select View Details to see a summary.
When matching spreadsheet columns with ChartHop fields, select None of these to skip a column. Skipped columns are not imported.
When formatting a spreadsheet file for upload to ChartHop, follow these guidelines:
- When using Microsoft Excel, save files to XLSX, since Excel may corrupt files that are saved to CSV.
- Avoid empty columns in any file.
- Column names are case insensitive and ignore spaces. For example, a column named "Base Comp" is the same thing as a column named "basecomp".
- When importing data to a custom field, use the field code as the column name instead of the field name.
- When uploading data to a default field, you may use either the field code or the field name as the column name.
- Enter complete job titles in any file to be uploaded (for example, "Senior Vice President" instead of "SVP"). ChartHop intelligently abbreviates titles in the org chart depending on how much screen space is available.
The first column in the file is the identifier column, which denotes the job or person to attribute the information to. ChartHop prefers Work email as the identifier in most cases.
- Use the same kind of data in all similar fields. For example, use an email address in the Manager column if using Work email as the identifier.
- You can upload historical data such as former employees. ChartHop will only display them if the date slider is moved back to when they were with your org.
You can export existing employee data from the Data Sheet as a .csv file to use as a spreadsheet template for your changes. Once you are done editing that .csv file, you can import it back into ChartHop. Learn more.