Installing the TriNet app
This section covers setting up the TriNet integration app, which allows you to sync your employee roster to ChartHop.
For ChartHop to access your organization's TriNet payroll data, you need to obtain an API Client ID, Client Secret, and Company ID as an Integration Administrator. This information allows ChartHop to connect to TriNet to receive your employee data.
- Sign in to TriNet
- Navigate to the TriNet Integration Center
- Select Get Started from the TriNet API section.
- Select the applicable integration name from the Select an Integration drop-down menu and review the level of access being granted to the API Key before selecting Accept.
- Copy the Company ID, Client ID, and Client Secret.
- Be sure to copy these IDs in a safe place before navigating off this page as it will not be accessible again.
- Select Ok when you've copied your API IDs and secret.
Note that you can revoke access at anytime by selecting Disconnect from within My Connected Apps. You can also generate a new API key and secret by disconnecting and repeating steps 1-5.
After you have your TriNet API credentials, you can install the TriNet integration app in ChartHop.
You'll be prompted to configure your payroll app when you select Install.
- In the Enter your API credentials step, enter the following information that you received from your TriNet representative in the following order:
- Client ID
- Client Secret
- Company ID
- Select Next step.
- Expand the Advanced settings section.
- Use the following table to guide you through advanced settings decisions.
Missing location information
Select one of the two options for what should happen if location information is set for an open role:
Advanced sync options
Select the data changes you want to include in your sync. You can include some or all of the following employee data:
Overwrite person fields
ChartHop recommends using this setting to avoid needing to update both ChartHop and your payroll system when a change is made to any field value that is synced from your payroll system.
When you choose this option, your payroll system remains the source of truth for the following fields in ChartHop: birthdate, gender, home address, and so on. Any edits you or an employee make to this data in ChartHop are overwritten during synchronization. This can pose an issue when someone uses ChartHop to update employee fields in ChartHop, without requesting an update in the source system.
Choose whether or not you want to sync historical data. You can turn this off if you want to exclude any historical changes before the date of your initial sync.
To exclude specific individuals from the sync, enter their unique payroll system IDs here, separated by commas.