Installing the TriNet app
This section covers setting up the TriNet integration app, which allows you to sync your employee roster to ChartHop.
Review your payroll system data
Your ChartHop payroll app syncs your employee data from your payroll system and builds your org chart in ChartHop. Once your Org Chart is created, you can start using ChartHop.
ChartHop recommends reviewing the data in your payroll system to ensure it is what you expect before you sync it to ChartHop. For example, if an employee has multiple system IDs in your payroll system, that employee’s data won’t sync properly. You should also be sure that your payroll system reflects an accurate view of your organization, including reporting structures, employee locations, and compensation.
Obtain API Credentials for TriNet
For ChartHop to access your organization's TriNet payroll data, you need to obtain an API client ID, client secret, and company ID from your TriNet representative. This information allows ChartHop to connect to TriNet to receive your employee data.
You can obtain an API key by emailing your TriNet representative. When you do so, include email@example.com so that a ChartHop representative can help you.
Install the TriNet app
After you have your TriNet API credentials, you can install the TriNet integration app in ChartHop.
- Navigate to Apps from the settings (gear) menu in the left sidebar.
- Select the All Apps tab.
- Scroll to your payroll app and select Install on the far right of the respective app's row.
Connect the TriNet app
You'll be prompted to configure your payroll app when you select Install.
- In the Enter your API credentials step, enter the following information that you received from your TriNet representative in the following order:
- Client ID
- Client Secret
- Company ID
- Select Next step.
Configure data sync settings for TriNet
Data sync settings control how and what data is synced to ChartHop from your payroll system. For example, you can choose whether or not to create a backfill position in ChartHop when you have a departure in your payroll system. Other advanced settings allow you to exclude certain employees.
- Select one of the two options:
- Automatically create backfills - This option creates a backfill position in ChartHop (open job) when an employee is marked as departed in your payroll system.
- Sync departures only - This option removes the departed employee from ChartHop. The employee's job history remains in ChartHop.
Configure advanced settings
Advanced settings allow you to better control how your payroll data syncs to ChartHop.
ChartHop recommends accepting the default values for these settings. Please get in touch with ChartHop Support or your Customer Success Manager for assistance if needed.
- Expand the Advanced settings section.
- Use the following table to guide you through advanced settings decisions.
Missing location information
Select one of the two options for what should happen if location information is set for an open role:
Advanced sync options
Select the data changes you want to include in your sync. You can include some or all of the following employee data:
Overwrite person fields
ChartHop recommends using this setting to avoid needing to update both ChartHop and your payroll system when a change is made to any field value that is synced from your payroll system.
When you choose this option, your payroll system remains the source of truth for the following fields in ChartHop: birthdate, gender, home address, and so on. Any edits you or an employee make to this data in ChartHop are overwritten during synchronization. This can pose an issue when someone uses ChartHop to update employee fields in ChartHop, without requesting an update in the source system.
Choose whether or not you want to sync historical data. You can turn this off if you want to exclude any historical changes before the date of your initial sync.
To exclude specific individuals from the sync, enter their unique payroll system IDs here, separated by commas.
Run an initial one-time sync of your payroll data
When you first configure your payroll app, you should run a one-time sync to verify that the sync is operating as you expect it to and that your data is what you expect.
To run a one-time sync:
- In the setup wizard, select the Run one-time sync option.
- Select Finish setup.
Verify your data in ChartHop
After running your first sync, you can use the Data Sheet and Org Chart pages to spot-check your data. You can use the Sync History page to verify when the sync was run and if it encountered any issues.
You should spot-check your ChartHop org for the following:
- Correct management reporting lines
- Compensation data
- Employee information on profiles (names, addresses, and so on)
- Job titles
Remember that most issues with your synced data originate in your payroll system. ChartHop allows you to visualize your employee data to make finding these discrepancies easier. Still, you’ll need to fix any data discrepancies in your payroll system and rerun the sync to view the fixes in ChartHop.
Configure your payroll app sync to run daily
After you’ve synced your data for the first time and verified your Org Chart, you should configure a daily sync. The value of syncing your payroll data to ChartHop is that it ensures that your employee data is always up to date.
- Navigate to Apps from the settings (gear) menu on the left side.
- Select the My Apps and Bundles tab.
- Scroll to your payroll app and select the gear (settings) icon on the far right of the row to view app settings.
- Within the App status & sync settings section, select the Edit (pencil) icon.
- Toggle the one-time sync option to on.
- Select Save.